f

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Fashion Illustration/Master Sewing and Design Certification

This past weekend, I attended the Association of Sewing and Design Professional's yearly conference. One of the classes that was offered was Fashion Illustrating and it was just the confidence builder that I needed. The class was taught by Judith Baer, a wonderful instructor. Even those who had never drawn were amazed with their progress. She is an instructor who truly wants her students to succeed, and she gives you the tools to do so.
Judith provided us with various croquis, and a wealth of information. One of the books that she recommended was Creative Fashion Drawing. While in the class, I found it on Amazon and purchased it. Really a great book. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Another wonderful book that Judith recommended was Fashion Details. I have not purchased the book, but I may do so soon. A lot of inspiration in the book, whether you want to draw or not.
Just a few of the tasks that must be completed for the Master Sewing and Design Certification Program Illustration Module are;

1. Five types of necklines, including two collars, and one jacket with lapels.
2. Three types of skirts, including a straight skirt with darts, an a-line skirt with panels, and a full gathered skirt.
3. Three types of patterned fabrics.
4. Three examples of textured fabrics.

Before the class, I felt completely overwhelmed. As I sat through the class, I found myself so immersed in what I was doing, and just having a blast. Once the class was over, I could not wait to get home and start drawing. I finally feel like I have gotten over the hump and can progress with the program. Below are a few of the pieces I am working on for the module. The jeans will get paired with a shirt of some sort and the blouse will probably be submitted on its own. 
I've just started working on the coat pictured below, but I think it's obvious what the coat is, an over-sized down parka with a fur hood, paired with stirrup pants. This is rough at the moment, I was just trying to get my bearings and see where I want to go. I'll show more as I continue to progress.
  
If you have ever thought about joining The Association of Sewing and Design Professionals, I encourage you to do so. The conference offers so many classes to help you refine or even develop new skills. It was the first conference that I've attended and it won't be my last. Next year, the conference will be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, one of my favorite cities!
One of the best tips that Judith gave us in the class was to just hang up a garment and really look at the lines. Take it apart piece by piece rather than looking at the whole picture. A good lesson for life in general.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

11 comments:

  1. Ooh, they look fabulous. Craftsy has a class on fashion illustration. I am sure no where near as detailed as your course but still sounds interesting. Love the tip too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! For me, showing a drawing is a little like bearing my soul.

      Delete
  2. What a grew class - you sound really inspired. Drawing has always been one of my weak spots but the more you practice the easier (and more recognisable!) It gets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am inspired. I even woke up this morning with drawing on my mind. I agree about the practice aspect. Couple that with a good instructor and you're really off and running!

      Delete
  3. Wow your drawings look fantastic!! Sounds like it was a very inspiring class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your class sounds so interesting and fun. Happy you are finding your comfort zone in this area. I have NO DOUBT you can (and will do) whatever you set in your mind. I always look forward to your posts and what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Linda. It's greatly appreciated :)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant illustrations. I love the coat design. Do you have to make the garments for your course or just submit the drawings? It seems like a very thorough course. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this module, I just need to submit the drawings. For another module, I will need to submit a collection.

      Delete
  6. That looks like such FUN! I tried to learn to draw cartoons one time when I was making my bird quilt. Do you think you will have to learn faces and heads? That is the hardest part for me. Hands and feet too. Your drawings look perfect!
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete