f

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thrifty Thursday/The Free Tate Top Pattern

Last November, Jennifer from Workroom Social debuted her first pattern. It's an easy to wear, racer back tank. I knew that the pattern was coming out, as I saw a post she had done back in September where she announced that it would be coming soon. Once the pattern was out, I downloaded it and then it went on the back burner. 
 The back has a fairly deep racer back shaping.
I finally downloaded the pattern. Here's a schematic of the front and back. I ended up cutting the front on the center line and recycling the rest.
The back comes in 2 options.  One is a full back, the other has a center back and a side back, great for color blocking.
Since the top has sat on the back burner, I've had the opportunity to see tops made by others. Once I downloaded the pattern and took a look at it, I felt that I needed to raise the underarm seam and fill in the armhole. Below is the front pattern. I raised the armhole 1" and then blended my line back into the armhole.
The back was a little more dramatic. Once again, I raised the underarm 1" and blended my line back into the armhole, but as you can see, the back is a little more filled in. Always keep in mind that you can cut away if it's a little too much, but it's a lot more difficult, or impossible, to add back. So, I added the extra and felt that if it was too much, I would just cut away the excess.
My finished top. As it turned out, what I added was perfect. 
 The back does not have the deep racer back, but I really like how it works on my body. It's just enough of a cut away to look pretty, but not  so much that I feel exposed.
Another change that I made was to the center back opening. The pattern calls for a center back zipper. I don't care for a center back zipper in my tops, so I left about a 6" opening,
To finish the opening, I simply turned under my seam allowance and stitched it all the way to the neckline. Once the seam allowance had been turned and stitched, I came back and stitched down the seam allowance in the opening that I had left.
The back is finished and I will add a thread loop and a small button to keep the neckline closed.
Pictures of me in the top will come a little later today.
In the meantime, if you would like an easy to wear racer back tank for the summer, you can find the free pattern HERE.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. Hello, what a beautiful color! That's a nice, simple pattern. Would you like to try a more complicated pattern that is also free: https://afilimonb.wordpress.com/portfolio/tipar-rochie-clepsidra-hourglass-dress-pattern/ ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the styling and color. Beautiful garment I hope to make this summee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I should make several!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. The whole outfit is such a lovely colour and very classic.

    ReplyDelete