f

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Thrifty Thursday

As the holidays grow closer and closer, and we panic more and more :), a quick gift that's easy to make looks better and better. Just because a gift is quick to make doesn't mean that it can't be special. I found this bag pattern at www.verypurpleperson.com The bag was intended to be reversible, but mine is not for 2 reasons. First of all I decided to make it a little more special by making it out of leather, and second, I wanted to add a closure. All in all, I am super happy with the outcome.
I top stitched all of my seams.
To give the bag its lovely shape, there are 2 darts on the front and back at either side. I top stitched both to accent the darts and make them look a little more special.
As I said, I added a magnetic closure to my bag. If you do decide to make the bag and add a closure, be sure to back your fabric with a piece of iron on interfacing. The closure will need the stability.
Just to give you an idea of how long the bag will hang. It feels very comfortable on my shoulder, but you may want to add a couple of inches to the length of the handle.
You can find the pattern HERE. On the page that I've linked to, you will find the pattern link down near the bottom of the page. It will print off very easily, not like the owl pattern from last week. There will be 3 pages, so there is a little taping, but not much. I think this bag would make a GREAT present for just about anyone.

Now, I would like to give a quick shout out to http://stineundstitch.blogspot.de/ . Remember the Soho Leather Tote? Here's a link, http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2014/08/make-your-own-leather-soho-slouch-tote.html
Well, Kerstin made a lovely bag using synthetic leather. This is another great idea for gift giving!!
Hope you have some time to make a few gifts and have your own Thrifty Thursday!
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

11 comments:

  1. Such a great bag. I think I might need to make myself one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was supposed to be a gift, but I decided to keep it :)

      Delete
  2. I love your detailing ;) Gorgeous bag, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both bags are cute. I like how you accented the darts with top stitching. I still want to make the Emily bag you did for Sew News (and the pattern is on sale). Maybe after Christmas I'll have time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag is gorgeous! Thanks for the detailed photos. Do you think that most machines could handle leather? I have mainly vintage metal machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The machine should be able to handle leather, but you will need a leather needle.

      Delete
  5. You did a wonderful job mastering that leather, beautiful detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really wanting to make this bag in leather, only bigger. I live in a small town far away from a large city and I would have to buy the leather online without actually seeing it. Can you tell me how many square feet of leather I would need for the bag you made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francine, I used a leather remnant that I had on hand. It was fairly large, and I had a good bit left over. I have a piece of leather I can lay the pattern out on and see just how much is needed. I'll do it tomorrow and get back to you.

      Delete
    2. That would be really great. Thanks so much.

      Delete
    3. Francine, I haven't forgotten!!! I will measure this out for you later today.

      Delete