f

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

A Gown In A Jiffy!
Believe it or not, this gown falls under the Fabulous Free Pattern Friday heading as it is nothing more than 2 rectangles and a triangle. The front panel that you see below is a rectangle as well as the black accent piece.
Now you can see the triangle.
I had the fabric that I used for the front panel, but there was really only enough to go around my bust. My hips are about 4" bigger than my hips. I could have stretched it around my hips, but then I would have run the risk of looking like a sausage.
If you look closely at the above picture, you will see that the top portion of the rectangle is stitched to the waist. A triangle was cut out of the black fabric, which happens to be a slinky knit. The triangle was sewn to the 2 seams. To tie in the black and give the gown a more finished look, I cut a 4" wide band, folded it in half and sewed it to the top of the dress.
To line the dress, I cut another rectangle out of spandex and fitted it to my body. To give support, I added the bra cups just as I did with this tank top. You can find the instructions for adding bra cups HERE.
 
The spandex piece with the bra cups was then sewn to the top of the dress and flipped inside. The dress has structure without boning!
The straps were created out of beads and crystals that I had on hand.
In the end, a lovely gown that took me approximately 2 hours to put together. So if you need or would like a gown and you don't have a lot of time to put one together, here's a fun and easy option!




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

16 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! You make everything look so easy, it makes me want to try everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! A question comes to mind, though. How did you andle the clousure? I'm assuming a CB zipper to the triangle, but then what? Did you just follow down one side of the triangle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No closure. Since it's knit, I can pull the dress over my head.

      Delete
  3. wow lovely dress thnx for sharing your tip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! And I would have never guessed it only took 2 hours to put together. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dress! Simple, elegant, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning and such sophisticated fabric. I love your dress. I can picture you in it and you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your designs give me life. You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an incredible compliment. I'm honored. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is quite lovely! Well done. Thanks Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is quite lovely, well done! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhonda, this is gorgeous! How do you think this would look in a short version?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Bonnie. I think a short version would be lovely. A great cocktail dress actually.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No closure, a triangle and two rectangles ... my daughter can wear this one for the military ball.

    ReplyDelete