f

Friday, February 21, 2014

A New Venture, Thrifty Thursday

Good Morning Everyone!! 
I have decided to start a new feature on the blog and call it Thrifty Thursday, Thursday because I plan to do the posts on Thursdays and yes, I'm a day late!
There are a number of the independent pattern companies who are offering free patterns, real patterns. I think this is a wonderful idea. It gives you an idea of their how their patterns are produced and sized without making a huge financial commitment except for a little paper and ink and of course your fabric and the little bit of time it takes to tape the pattern together. I am becoming a huge fan of pdf patterns. I love the instant gratification of being able to print it out and have it immediately and never leave my house!! So I thought that I would print off and make one pattern each week and share my thoughts. As for my thoughts, please understand that I try to live by the motto of if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Now yes, I'm human and I may say something to a friend, privately, but not publicly here on the blog. I see this forum as a place to help build people up rather than tear them down. I hope that you'll find this new feature fun and informative. I have done a few pieces ahead and I have truly enjoyed what I've discovered so far.
My first piece features two lovely ladies from right here in Chicago. I did the oversized Hemlock Tee from Grainline Studios,
 and the Yellow Tail Camisole from Disparate Disciplines.
I made the Hemlock Tee out of a tissue knit that I purchased a while back at Denver Fabrics in Denver, Colorado. I think they have changed the name to Colorado Fabrics. Regardless, great store. If you are ever in Denver, you must make a stop and leave a little of your money behind ;)
I edged the top with a reptile knit that I got from Haberman's in Michigan. This is another must stop by fabric store if you are ever in the Detroit area. This fabric was actually a leftover piece from the outfit I did for the Passion For Fashion contest last year at the American Sewing Expo. I edged the bottom of the tee
as well as the bottom of the sleeves. She intended the sleeves to be more of a 3/4 sleeve, I wanted them to be a long sleeve so the extension worked out great.
 I also used the knit around the neckline.
This pattern is not a sized pattern, so just one size is given. Jenn gives the measurements of the pattern so you can decide if it will work for you before you print off the pattern. The pattern was VERY easy to put together, well drafted and I LOVE my top!!
I actually tested the camisole pattern for Mari of Disparate Disciplines so this is really a second  make for me. I love this pattern and you will see more versions of it later this summer. Lengthen the pattern and it makes a wonderful summer dress. It is also perfect as a slip. Just a great and versatile all around pattern.
On the website you'll see that you can pay for the pattern if you wish, but it is not mandatory by no means. If you would like to give one of Mari's patterns a try before jumping in and making a financial commitment, you are more than welcome to do so with this pattern. Just a note, I have tested all of her patterns and I have been very pleased with the drafting, sizing and overall quality of the patterns.
I did make one change to the pattern this time. If you look at the picture above, you'll see that there is a 2" wide band around the bottom of the camisole. I just wanted it to be a little longer, so I cut a 4" wide band, folded it in half and serged it to the bottom. Easy.
A little note about the straps, when I make this top, prior to attaching the straps, I try the top on with the bra I will wear underneath it and adjust my straps accordingly. I am rather narrow across my chest, so I usually have to cut a little off the sides in order for my straps to match my bra straps.
And now for the fashion show pictures ;)  
 The picture below gives you an idea of how the Hemlock Tee hangs.

 And finally, the Yellow Tail Camisole. Rather fun!
The Hemlock Tee is the perfect throw on top to wear over jeans or leggings and the Yellow Tail Camisole is perfect on its own and great for pairing under a loose tee like the Hemlock. Now go print one for yourself!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda - I'm looking forward to seeing these posts in the future - you are going to be busy making lots of lovely things to test the patterns - what a great way and fun way to add to your wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea to showcase these free patterns. Thank you. And you have made a couple of lovely items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the title I was thinking you would show how you remade thrift store finds! My mistake, but I love me some thrift store finds...however, thanks for turning us on to two great patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness! Two great pieces! Love them both, but especially the almost tunic-like tee-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can see now that Thursdays are going to be fun seeing all the new things! You look fabulous in both. I'm not much of a Camisole "maker" but the Hemlock is definitely me. Like I need more patterns!!! even if free.............LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both these makes! You know how to rock an animal print!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both those are super-flattering on you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. VA VA VOOM! I SWEAR, you would look good in a paper bag! I have the camisole, although I sure won't look like you do in it. It will be an UNDERgarment for me. Will download the tee shirt, and thank you so much.
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny Joy ;) You'll enjoy the cami pattern even if it is an under garment. That's how I wear them usually.

      Delete
  9. Heartfelt thank you for sharing your passion and talent for creating truly beautiful clothes and inspiring us all with your generosity of spirit and energy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant idea Rhonda - more work for you, more insight for us. Sounds like a bargain to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is great. I have never tried to download patterns so I can't wait to see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh, this will be fun! Looking forward to Thursday already. ~Teri

    ReplyDelete