f

Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Morning Inspiration

Good Morning Everyone!!
This week I thought I would begin sharing the Ungaro books that I have.  As much as I like the Valentino books, these are by far my favorite. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the mix of patterns and the bold bright colors that captures my attention. Regardless, I think they are fabulous. I have 5 books ranging from 1986 through 1990. The first thing you will notice is the ever so accentuated shoulder. I'll warn you now, while going through the latest issue of Vogue magazine, I was struck by the fact that the shoulders are becoming quite wide and skirts and pants alike are once again becoming pegged. So pay close attention, you just may be wearing this style again!!! 




Take note of the velvet that was used for the skirts above. It is the silkiest velvet I have ever seen.





 The fabrics for the above design are below. The blouse fabric is silk and the skirt is a wool challis.

 Once again, that lovely velvet used here for the blouse. It must have felt like a dream to wear.

 Check out the mix of patterns that were used to obtain this look.







Do the drawings remind you of anyone's work? They do have the feel of Antonio Lopez, but no reference was given to the illustrator so I think not. Antonio would have wanted his name scrolled across the bottom of each and every picture and I don't know that Ungaro would have appreciated that!!!
Hopefully you'll find the mix of colors and patterns just as inspiring as I do.
Wishing you all a prosperous week!!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. You'd look amazing in any of these! Which comes first, the fabric or the design? Does the designer have fabric made to match his or her vision?

    Those questions tell you all you need to know about my fashion design knowledge. Your posts are so intriguing and inspiring, I want to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! Since they are coming back in style, I may want to pull out some of my old 80's patterns!!
      As for the design process, it can work both ways. Sometimes the fabric comes first and sometimes the design comes first. I actually have a piece of Ungaro camelhair coating. "Ungaro" is printed right in the selvedge of the fabric. It's a spectacular piece of fabric.

      Delete
  2. I have always loved Ungaro, and what I would give to have the tiny waistline to go with the wide shoulder jackets. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this Rhonda. I'd love to have my 80's figure back to go with these styles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rhonda ... I remember 80s fashion both the 40s ... very pronounced shoulders and amazing pattern. I enjoy these post like a girl looking at a candy store. Many kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so remember these clothes. I have finally come to really appreciate their great lines. Wide shoulders, while exaggerated, do wonders for those of us with hips. I would love to see them come back, as well as finely tailored jackets. Yup, those were my career clothes back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved his eye for color and prints. You used to be able to find them on sale once and awhile, very precious. You are so lucky to have those books with the fabric swatches, the clothes really come to life here.

    ReplyDelete