f

Thursday, July 11, 2013

OOTD

Quite some time ago I had promised Lisa of  http://www.poldapop.com/ that I would help her with her first wedding gown creation. Mistake of all mistakes, I did not write down the appointment. Last night as I was thinking about my day today, I knew that there was something I was supposed to do, but nothing came to mind, so great, a catch up day. Finally, this morning it came to me about 15 minutes before I needed to leave, "OMG!!! I'm supposed to help Lisa with the fitting today!!!" I jumped up from what I was doing and quickly grabbed a dress that I knew would be easy to throw on and would allow me to get out the door quickly and still look half way decent.
I made this dress nineteen years ago. Hmmm, just how long should I keep something in my closet? Trust me, there are pieces that are far older than this dress. It's such an easy dress to wear. It wraps to the back and ties and then the back wraps to the front and ties. So, two ties and you're done. Typically, I would not post something like this, but Lisa asked if I made it and if it was one of my patterns. She especially liked the way the ties tie just under the bust and give such a slim look.
It is just a super simple, old Butterick pattern (the pattern was published in 1994. How can  something from 1994 be old?!!!).
I did find a link to a copy on Etsy, https://www.etsy.com/listing/129535114/wrap-and-tie-dress-butterick-pattern?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=butterick+3485&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=butterick+3485
The pattern is an all sizes included pattern. Here's the back of the envelope with all the information.
Lesson of the day.....write down your appointments!!!!!
By the way, Lisa really didn't need me. She is doing a fabulous job on her first ever wedding gown. I hope that she'll post her progress as this is going to be a beautiful gown.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

16 comments:

  1. Darn! Someone beat me to it! I'll keep my eye out for old Butterick 3485 (or maybe I'll use the line drawing to try and draft my own per our conversation this morning!). And I did need you - thanks again for all your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty dress and must find a way to get that OOP....must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure one will pop up. When you do find one, you'll want to do a shorter version. I have gone back and forth about cutting my dress off and shortening it, but.... You can see it remains long :)

      Delete
  3. It's like the famous Walk Away dress, only slimmer. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that there was a famous one!! I take it that it must have been quite a bit fuller than this version.

      Delete
  4. That certainly is a wonderful dress! And who would know that it hails from the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. The cotton has held up quite well and not faded.

      Delete
  5. Its really nice - a timeless empire line really - only with the self tie. Why throw things away if you still like them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not old! Younger than my daughters :) Looks very current...just like my daughters :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the pattern for the original walk-away, and the fabric to make one for this fall! It took me months to find just the right fabric.... But yes, I love it, too! Yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mimi! You are the second person to mention the original walk away dress. I would love to see a picture of the pattern when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kwik sew has a current pattern that might be similar enough for some of you -
    http://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3225-products-19881.php?page_id=3034

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhonda, this dress is so pretty on you. I love the wraparound ties. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete